Gustafer Yellowgold Show

Sunday the whole family went to see Gustafer Yellowgold at the Curious Comedy Theatre. Curious Comedy turned out to be a very nice, intimate venue, on MLK about two blocks south of Killingsworth. They host an interesting kid's event every month called The Curious Garden. Here's their description: "Visit the Curious Garden on the second Sunday of every month when fairies, lawn jockeys, bunnies and grumpy daisies play games and sing songs with the kids. It’s a ridiculously fun time for all. Doors open at 10AM." Cost is $3-5 suggested donation.

Anyway, Gustafer Yellowgold is a little yellow dude invented by a guy named Morgan Taylor. The show consisted of Mr. Taylor telling stories about Gustafer, who grew up on the sun, came to the Minnesota woods in a sun pod, and has all kinds of crazy adventures. Then he sang incredible songs about Gustafer while his hand-drawn animations were projected on a screen behind him. It was funny, witty, intensely creative, and very enjoyable! How enjoyable was it? Let's just say my husband cannot be said to be a children's music fan whatsoever, and while I am, I'm very finicky. We both really loved it. Jasper never seems to like live music (loud noises tend to be regarded by Jasper as worthwhile only if self created) and he loved it too.
Mr. Taylor lives in the Catskills  (I love the word "Catskills", don't you? I totally picture cats doing all kinds of amazing tricks whenever I say it) and has been to Portland twice now on his national tours. And yes, he's a dad.  Don't you think children's musicians seem a lot more inspired and tuned into children's unique humor when they are parents themselves? I've signed up on his mailing list to hear about it the next time he's back in town. And those of you who have a library card for Washington County Oregon, or can easily get one (they say on their website they will give you one if you have a Multnomah County card) should note that all three of his releases are in their collection. They consist of a video of his animation with the music, and a separate cd of just his music.  http://www.gustaferyellowgold.com/

Comments

Popular Posts