
My little guy is now six years old. Officially a third of the way through his childhood. It seems only yesterday he was a tiny thing, peering out at the world from inside a sling, his head conveniently close for receiving kisses on the top of his head. These days he's perpetually in motion. So if I want to put kisses on the top of his head, I have to catch him first. I think sometimes his love of the very small, the world as seen through magnifying lenses and microscopes, comes from being a small person in a big world, towered over by the grownups in his life. But that won't be the case for long.


What he wanted most of all to do with his special day was to go to his most favorite place, the Oregon Coast Aquarium, to see their amazing touch pool. So off we went. They were busy feeding kelp to the hungry abalone, which was fun to watch. He just about couldn't bear to leave. We stopped at the Hatfield Marine Science Center, which also has a touch pool. And since I refuse to drive to the coast without going to say hello to the Pacific Ocean, we walked around on Yaquina Head, which was wild, beautiful, and very windy. And then we headed home for ice cream cake!
Comments