Brenda's Rent-A-Chick
We rented chicks this week from Brenda's Heirloom Hens in Battle Ground, WA. Three chicks are $25 for up to 7 days, with a $25 deposit, and come with all the supplies you could possibly need, plus a small book on chicken care. Who could ask for more? Brenda was even kind enough to let us take four.
My husband was a bit alarmed when he learned of this scheme. He said it reminded him of something Lucy would do, and he found the episode to prove it!
But it turns out that taking care of them couldn't be easier! And Jasper has been completely enthralled with them. They are certainly adorable, and we truly love the music of their little peeps. Today we invited our homeschool group to come see them, and the children were captivated. Chicks will be available for renting throughout the spring and early summer. Brenda is quite the expert on chickens. She told us she currently has 300! She is definitely a great person to go to if you want to actually purchase some, and she has some lovely exotics.
I was surprised by how easy it was to reach her farm. It occurred to me that I often tease my friends who find the Willamette to be a mystical barrier into terra incognita, but for me it's the Columbia I fear to cross. I mean, it's a whole 'nother state! This despite the fact that there are many places I go routinely that are no more of a distance. And I get to pump my own gas there! Whoo hoo! So not only have we been having the chicken adventure, this could lead to many more adventures as we explore Washington!
I was surprised by how easy it was to reach her farm. It occurred to me that I often tease my friends who find the Willamette to be a mystical barrier into terra incognita, but for me it's the Columbia I fear to cross. I mean, it's a whole 'nother state! This despite the fact that there are many places I go routinely that are no more of a distance. And I get to pump my own gas there! Whoo hoo! So not only have we been having the chicken adventure, this could lead to many more adventures as we explore Washington!






Comments