Tomato Paradise

Just by chance we were driving by the Smith Berry Barn and saw a sign that said "U-Pick Tomatoes". We've gone there many times for their wonderful no-spray berries, but never for tomatoes.  I was feeling very sad that our most convenient farmer's market ended for the year in August, and stubbornly unresigned to grocery store tomatoes.  So I made a quick u-turn for the u-pick.  We quickly found ourselves in tomato paradise!  I couldn't count how many varieties they had so I asked.  "I don't know...I think it's over 50," came the reply.  They said picking has been slow for them this year and they are bursting with tomatoes of every possible color and size.  We love them in sauce, but also just simply sliced thin and drizzled with good vinegar and olive oil, coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. And I like to eat the little ones like candy! 

Comments

Popular Posts