Halloween
Jasper was an octopus for Halloween. For the past three years he's wanted to be sea creatures. For his entire life, I've wanted to give him a good costume that didn't require too much effort on my part and certainly no sewing skills. I found this post and followed their directions. It can all be done with a little hand sewing. You get a child's hoodie and three pairs of matching tights, cut the legs off the tights and stuff them with fiber fill, and sew them on to the hoodie all around the neck line. These become the tentacles along with the hoodie sleeves. You then attach round suckers with a hot glue gun to all the tentacles. I decided this part needed some razzle dazzle, so I ordered some big fancy sequins from Cartright's. (I love their website! It made me wonder what else I could do with sequins.) To my relief, they stayed on firmly with hot glue. I thought I could surely make the head on the costume look more realistic. I made the part with the eyeballs by taking one of the leftover legless tights and sewing white fabric into the legholes. I painted pupils on with fabric paint. Then I made the rest of the head with a stretchy piece of matching red fabric, and filled it with fiberfill and some packing peanuts to keep it lightweight but give it a bumpy texture. Jasper loved his costume and declared it was the best ever. At least, until Halloween, and then he kept asking to take it off. I told him that you can't expect anyone to give you candy if you don't show them a cool costume! I think he was getting too much attention!
| Here's the back of Jasper's costume as he trick or treats with Michael Jackson. |






Comments