In one week we went on three hikes, and two of them were at
Mt. Talbert Nature Park. The first time we stopped by after a trip to
Ruhl Bee Supply, an incredible store with everything a person could possibly want for candle making, soap making, and of course beekeeping. The second time we went with friends Michael and Patrick. Michael blogs here:
http://exploreportlandnature.wordpress.com/. Mt. Talbert is a gorgeous spot very close to I-205 and Highway 224, on the opposite side of the highway from the Clackamas Town Center Mall. At the mall, you'd never suspect that such a lovely spot could be so close. We were very excited to find our first wildflowers of the spring.
 |
| Spring queen. |
We found all sorts of wonders. Jasper was especially thrilled to have Patrick join him at his game of looking to see what sorts of cool things can be found under logs. As usual, the answer was "lots"! Among their findings were pillbugs (not a bug, but a crustacean), crickets, millipedes, and Patrick even found a hibernating bumble bee.
 |
| Oregon tall grape, the state flower, is getting ready to bloom. |
 |
| A spider has its own swimming pool. |
 |
| Counting tree rings. |
 |
| Leftovers from someone's snack. |
 |
| I actually managed to identify this stuff: Exidia glandulosa. I don't know if it has a common name, but I doubt it's anything pleasant! This fungus won't be winning any beauty contests. |
Comments