

We decided to climb the trail that leads to the rim of Mt. St. Helens. This is a particularly difficult day hike, with a 4,500ft elevation gain. Backcountry day passes are required for each person to hike above the treeline, which have to be purchased in advance. The trail does not have switchbacks, but goes nearly straight up. Above the forest, there is a good portion of the trail that is marked with poles and requires less hiking than bouldering to ascend. We brought lots of food and water, and I thought that as long as we took breaks whenever we wanted, and just kept putting one foot in front of the other, we'd eventually make it. When we reached 2/3 of the way, I simply couldn't keep hiking! My husband and I were both a bit bummed that we didn't make it to the top. I've never before reached a limit where I simply had to stop, so I realized that although we didn't get to the top, I ought to be at least a little proud of myself for really trying more than I ever have before. Jasper is always much more in the moment than his parents, something I truly admire. He definitely enjoys the journey more than the thrill of reaching a goal. This is something I have to take into consideration a great deal as I homeschool him, because so far, he has rarely seemed even a little bit motivated by a specific educational goal. If the process is fun, he's all for it, but if it's drudgery, it's all over. On long hikes, he never seems excited about the view from the top so much as all the amazing things he finds along the way.







 |
| Wild tiger lilies. |
 |
| There was time to stop at the Trail of Two Forests after our hike, and crawl through the tree casts. |
Comments