Dog Mountain

The hike on Dog Mountain Trail 147 is very, very steep, and this Gorge hike has no waterfalls.  But the views and the wildflowers at the top are absolutely breathtaking!  We climbed all the way up, with many complaints near the end that Jasper was very tired of climbing.  What else did he do when he got to the summit than climb a tree?!  Crazy kid!  There are rattlesnakes here, but this is such a popular spot that before we saw one on our way up. we were  warned by at least a dozen people on their way down to look out!  Jasper was beyond thrilled to see his first rattlesnake in the wild.  I'm not sure I was equally thrilled, but we left each other alone.


Chocolate lilies.

A meadow of Arrowleaf Basalm Root.

Paintbrush.





Phlox.
Fairly slipper.

Chocolate lily.



Comments

Sharon said…
This was the other hike I couldn't remember that I thought would be a good training hike for you--other than Starvation Something and Desperation Something Else. I'm glad you found it on your own! It's definitely good practice if you expect to be hiking on scree....
Laura Lucanidae said…
Yes, my husband is hip to the starvation and desperation thingees. Don't they sound like fun?!? You know, Jasper has no problem keeping up. There's some whining involved, but he's really game for it. I'm the one whose having trouble. Dog mountain kicked my butt! And it was me more than anyone who was stopping to look at things (and take pictures) instead of keeping up. Blake has bought passes for us to hike the rim of Mt. St. Helens in August. If I live 'til then, I think I'll be ready for the Burgess Shale!

Popular Posts