Tillamook Forest Center

I laughed when I saw they were selling toy burning logs
in the gift shop!
It was the 40th Anniversary of the Tillamook State Park, and we headed to the Tillamook Forest Center to check out the festivities.  This region had been plagued by epic forest fires and had been called the Tillamook Burn for decades when massive tree-planting efforts finally paid off. In 1973 Governor Tom McCall officially announced that it would henceforth be known as the Tillamook State Forest. The Wilson River runs behind the center, and many people were swimming in its cool and shallow waters. We explored a bit on the trails.
Jasper enjoyed trying out a real fire hose, even if they did have the pressure set super low.
The replica fire lookout tower. It doesn't go above the tree
canopy, but it's very fun to climb.
They took a couple photos of folks attending the celebration.  One they posted on Facebook a few days later and we weren't in it.  I was completely mystified, because we'd definitely been at the only photo session I saw on their schedule.  Lo and behold, they finally posted the group photo which we were in,  5 months later!  I found this photo on their Facebook page.
The Wilson River.
Monkeyflower.
This spider was feasting on a bumblebee.
Snowberries.
Water striders.
Jasper was delighted to meet this handsome beetle.

Comments

Popular Posts